30 Apr 2010

The 'Gordon Ramsay Effect'

One of the first, formal performance reviews I had at work was about six years ago. Given I’ve been working for fourteen years this is a pretty poor frequency I grant you but what was one of my seemingly ‘best’ reviews was actually one of my worst. Why? Because, it gave me absolutely nothing and because the person who delivered it was a complete arse.

I think the general gist was “You’re doing brilliantly – carry on.”

Whilst at first glance this is good news (being told you are doing a good job is, after all, much better than being told you’re doing a bad one) but it leaves you completely ill-equipped to get any better. It demonstrates a complete absence of investment into line management too. Had my manager thought for a few moments longer he would have picked up on loads of stuff that a twenty-something me needed to do to get a darn sight better. Good constructive feedback given in a timely way would be preferable next time, if you don’t mind. Lazy, lazy, lazy boy!

Ok, so not everyone is very good and managing people. Some people are not very good at communicating either but that isn’t what this is about.

Some time ago before Marco Pierre White took over, Gordon Ramsay did a TV series where celebs essentially learn to cook. On one particular occasion I think they had to make omelettes or something (I can’t quite remember, forgive me). Each in turn had to place their burnt offering in front of the foul-mouthed master and each in turn was subjected to the predictable ritual humiliation. Then one (details, details...) took their turn and somewhat unexpectedly received something close to genuine praise.

I was struck by how this made me feel. How amazing must it be, I thought, to have such a compliment from Gordon Ramsay himself. What made it so amazing is simple enough. It’s because he is good at what he does. Bloody good in fact. He’s totally credible, no, world class in his field. If GR had complimented someone on their herbaceous border or a particularly exquisite water colour then it wouldn’t have the same bite. In my world if he expressed his awe at a perfectly constructed strategic brief then, nice though it may be, it would not have had the same impact. But getting a gold star for a cracking three-egg omelette from Gordon, well, who wouldn’t give their right arm for that.

I’m a sucker for a compliment, always have been. I crave acknowledgement, endorsement and a bit of puffing up. But it only really means anything when it’s from a source I respect and admire. That early review was as meaningless because of its originator as it was in its content and I resent the time I lost in my career at the expense of a muppet manager.

I’m happy to say that since then it’s been a different story and I’ve worked for some great people who have taught me a bundle. I hope I can do the same for my team now. Much like parenting, you won’t be very good if you never get a good example. And similarly it’s an enormous responsibility albeit unlike your children your team are more of a transient feature of your life.

Go forth and strive for greatness, dear readers. You never know who might right about you in cyberspace one day if you don’t...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous30/4/10 21:44

    In the pursuit of laziness, I intend to criticise and ridicule my team to such an extent, they won't have an income that affords an Internet connection.

    Sorted.

    ReplyDelete